- Advert number: 345008-0
- Posted Date: 30/12/13
- Closing Date: 20/01/14
NATIONAL CANCER RESEARCH INSTITUTE (NCRI)
CLINICAL STUDIES GROUPS CHAIRPERSON – BIOMARKERS AND IMAGING, COLORECTAL, GYNAECOLOGICAL, LYMPHOMA AND PALLIATIVE AND SUPPORTIVE CARE
The 21 National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Clinical Studies Groups have a remit to develop portfolios of trials for specific cancer types or treatment approaches. This includes overseeing the portfolio of existing studies, considering new research questions, developing proposals and securing funding from NCRI members. The Groups are multi-disciplinary, with surgery, medical oncology, clinical oncology, radiology, pathology, epidemiology, statistics and other professions involved in clinical trials represented on each Group as appropriate. For a full list of the 21 Groups, please visit the website at: http://csg.ncri.org.uk/
Each Group meets at least twice per year and a number of the Groups have Subgroups and/or Working Parties which meet in the intervals between the main Group meetings. Some of the Groups host National Clinical Trials meetings of between 100 and 450 delegates.
Each Chairperson is responsible to the NCRI Board and will need to be able to:
- Oversee the portfolio of trials developed or adopted by the Group.
- Contribute to studies developed or adopted by the Group.
- Monitor the progress of the Group.
- Receive input from the NCRI and NCRN Co-ordinating Centre.
- Liaise with other National and International trials organisations.
- Propose membership of the Group in consultation with the NCRI Director of Clinical Research.
- Report to the NCRI Board annually and through the triennial peer review mechanism.
- Provide advice to the NCRI, attending meetings as needed.
- Promote good clinical research practice.
We are currently seeking applications for Chairpersons of the following groups:
- NCRI Biomarkers & Imaging Clinical Studies Group
- NCRI Colorectal Cancer Clinical Studies Group
- NCRI Gynaecological Clinical Studies Group
- NCRI Lymphoma Clinical Studies Group
- NCRI Palliative & Supportive Care Clinical Studies Group
Chairs need to be able to demonstrate highly developed leadership skills, and be excellent communicators and skilful team players. Specifically, each postholder will also need to be able to demonstrate previous experience of chairing research meetings effectively, evidence of an ability to provide leadership to a research group, and be prepared to take action and implement decisions. They will need to have academic excellence and a previous track record of collaborative research in the appropriate area of cancer. Selection will be made against chairmanship criteria and appointments will be made strictly on merit. Appointments are for three years in the first instance, and chairmanship can be considered as national work. This is a voluntary, not a remunerated, position.
If you are interested in serving as an NCRI Clinical Studies Group Chairperson, please submit your CV and covering letter in support of your application by email to Mrs Nanita Dalal at Nanita.Dalal@ncri.org.uk by 20th January 2014. Please note that interviews will take place in w/c 10th February 2014. Background information on the ‘Remit of Groups’ and the ‘Remit of Members’ (including chairmanship criteria) can be found on the web at: http://csg.ncri.org.uk/ Please contact either Dr Eileen Loucaides, Senior Executive, NCRI Clinical Studies Groups Secretariat, on 020 3469 8585 or Professor Matt Seymour, NCRI Clinical Director, on 0113 343 8033 if you would like to discuss the post prior to application.