Hospital doctors’ pay stagnated in England in 2012
Authors: Helen Jaques
Publication date: 21 Dec 2012
Pay for hospital consultants and registrars in England barely changed from 2011 to 2012, annual figures from the Health and Social Care Information Centre show.
On average, hospital consultants earned £109 651 in the year ending September 2012 (down 0.8% on 2011), of which £82 315 was basic pay and £27 336 additional non-basic pay; for example, for on call work or additional programmed activities over and above the contracted number. Half (55.2%) of consultants received a merit award in 2012, worth £15 016 on average.
Registrars earned on average £53 365 in the year to September 2012 (up 0.3% on 2011), including £35 909 in basic pay and £17 456 in additional non-basic pay. Nearly all (90.1%) registrars earned additional cash through banding supplements, on average of £16 803 a year.
Overall, basic pay for permanent hospital doctors, including hospital practitioners and clinical assistants, rose by 1.3% from 2011 to 2012—from £53 394 to £54 074 a year. Basic pay for locum hospital doctors rose by 2.4%.
Among hospital doctors on a permanent contract, total pay rose by 0.6% in 2012. Among locum hospital doctors it rose by 2%.
Across the NHS, average basic pay for a full time worker rose by 1.3% in the 12 months to September 2011.
Read the full report online at www.ic.nhs.uk/pubs/staffearnjulsep12.
Helen Jaques news reporter
- There are currently no responses to this article
- Add rapid response
- ST GEORGE'S HEALTHCARE NHS TRUST CONSULTANT AND HONORARY SENIOR LECTURER RHEUMATOLOGY AND (LOW INTENSITY) GENERAL INTERNAL MEDICINE
- CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST Addenbrooke's Hospital CONSULTANTS NEUROSURGERY
- WEST SUFFOLK NHS FOUNDATION TRUST A CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITALS TRUST CONSULTANTS GERIATRIC MEDICINE Two posts
- WEST SUFFOLK HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST A CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITALS TRUST CONSULTANT CARDIOLOGY Reference: 179-MS36-13
- DERBY HOSPITALS NHS FOUNDATION TRUST CONSULTANT ACUTE MEDICINE Reference: 320-DMS-3451